Lake Tahoe is a great vacation spot for outdoor activities – whether from skiing in the winter to water sports in the summer. The natural scenery is breathtaking, and you’ll want to make the most of your time there. It is located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of the United States on the border between California and Nevada. It is the largest alpine lake in the United States. It is America’s second deepest lake having a depth of 514m, and it is famous for its clarity and amazing view offered by the mountains on all sides. It serves as the perfect holiday spot for visitors from all over the world.
The area that surrounds the lake is known as Tahoe and is famous for so many recreational activities and tourist attractions where travelers can make full use of ski resorts as well. The lake is extremely popular for all kinds of water sports and beach activities. People cherish the whole experience of doing boating with their loved ones as there are so many lake front restaurants equipped with docks which further add to the charm of the place.
Lake Tahoe has got its own Coast Guard and is famous all over the world for rocking events such as sailboat racing, guided cruises and firework shows over the lake. There are a number of hiking and mountain biking trails all over the lake that vary in different levels like length, difficulty, and popularity.
The most famous of them all is Tahoe Rim Trail that is a 165-mile trail that circumvents the lake. Granite Chief Wilderness provides a mind-blowing hiking and wilderness camping experience for the travelers, and it is located on the southwest side of the lake.
Some very Interesting Facts about Lake Tahoe:
- It is a natural lake, but TCID (Truckee Carson Irrigation District) is using it for the purpose of ‘water storage’ as well. Its level is controlled by a Dam which only increases its capacity by 732,000-acre feet but only controls the top 6 feet of the lake.
- During peak holiday season, the density of cars and trucks driving in the Tahoe Basin goes to almost 1 million vehicle miles per day, traveling on roads surrounding the 72-mile lake.
- The west side of the lake offers an amazing view of Emerald Bay which is a National Natural Landmark and is well conserved by the Emerald Bay State Park
- The only island that the lake has is known as “Fannette Islands” and is also protected by Emerald Bay State Park as well.
- The world famous Chevrolet Tahoe is named after the river only. That in itself indicates the popularity of this lake. Right?
- The Ranch that is shown in the TV serial Bonanza is located near the Nevada side of the river and is known as Ponderosa Ranch.
- Do you know that everybody wants to get married at this amazing location? It serves as the most fabulous and remarkable settings for any kind of wedding ceremony.
- It is ranked as the third best wedding destination and offers a wide range of locations to arrange wedding ceremonies. Newly wed couples love to spend their honeymoon time here as it provides one of the most romantic, mushy and amazing sceneries of all time.
Luxury Hotels Near Lake Tahoe
There are hundreds of luxury hotels, resorts and lodges on both North and South part of Lake Tahoe. On the southern part you will find Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel, Mark Twain Lodge, Hotel Azure, Americana Village and Best Western Station House Inn like luxury hotels. On the Northern part you will find Tahoe Marina Lakefront, Sunnyside Resort and Lodge, Americas Best Value Inn Tahoe City and Tahoe City Inn.
When to Visit Lake Tahoe
Obviously, the time of the year you head to Lake Tahoe for a visit will depend largely on what you hope to do while you’re there. However, Tahoe truly is a four season resort, so there’s always enough to keep you busy no matter what time you visit.
How to Get to Lake Tahoe
Getting to Tahoe any time of the year is not difficult. Whether you enjoy driving from distant locales or prefer a quick trip, you’ll find that the Lake Tahoe area is easily accessible, even when some of the area’s 24 feet-a-year of snow is falling. There are a few different airports to which visitors can fly when heading to the Lake Tahoe area on vacation or business. The closest is Reno/Tahoe International Airport, located in Reno, Nevada. Those who wish to book train travel to the Lake Tahoe region can do so on board Amtrak. The train stops in Truckee, which is located about 10 miles north of the lake. And if you choose to head to Lake Tahoe by car, the South Shore is easily accessible from U.S. 50 and the North Shore from Highways 89 or 267.
Weather in Lake Tahoe
Those who truly love the Lake Tahoe area will tell you that the weather is ideal any time of the year. Snow bunnies, of course, enjoy the abundant white stuff and those who call it home in the summer appreciate the lack of humidity and the moderate temperatures. Needless to say, it all depends on your outlook.
Nonetheless, the weather in Lake Tahoe could actually be classified as quite moderate. The Sunshine is clearly visible about 270-300 days each year, and the temperatures are not as extreme as one might surmise that they would be. The precipitation is manageable as well. In fact, the area enjoys a lot less snow and rain than the western “windward” side of the Sierra Mountains range.
So next time you plan to go for a vacation, do keep the name of LAKE TAHOE at the top of your mind so that you may not miss the adventures and romantic side offered by the lake at the same time!
You may also like: Most beautiful Places in the United States